Thursday, May 22, 2008

In our Day

Habakkuk 3:2
LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.

This simple prayer has become the hearts cry of Amy and I. Habakkuk actually asked and expected something from God. We sometimes get caught up in the "lingo" of our faith and pray to God with such a religious attitude. We say things like "Oh God just do your will" and "I know all things will work out for the good". Of coarse that's true and that should be the foundation of our prayer life, but this prayer is one of desperation, perseverance, and expectation. Habakkuk saw a great injustice in his day, and wanted to know what God was going to do about it.

Chapter 1:2-4
2How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
but you do not save? 3Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong?
Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. 4Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted.


This looks like a lack of faith, but it is not. Sometime God wants to see his people get mad! Habakkuk was not mad at God, he was angry about the injustice. He was tired of just sitting and watching so he went to the only one who could do anything about it. When I feel like I am being ripped off unjustly somehow by someone that I may do business with, I call the company and complain until I get someone with authority that can do something about the problem. I don't want some generic answer read to me in broken English by some unconcerned Indian employee getting paid minimum wage to answer phones. Most people will just settle for that and say "well, I guess that's the just the way it is" "It will all work out in the end". No! The moment I pick up that phone I have a determination to get the Justice I deserve and am not going to hang up until I get someone who can make that happen. God is waiting for us to approach him this way. I am tired of watching people die and just sitting by casting a quick generic prayer towards the heavens hoping maybe something will happen someday. It is time to get aggressive! Get violent! Jesus said when you want something "knock, and then knock some more", and "ask, and then keep asking". I am ready to see with my own two little eyes what I know God is able to do. I have become passionate in my prayer life. God restore your great works in my day!! I know who you are and what you can do. We need to see it now!
This is how God answered Habakkuk:

1:5
Look at the nations and watch—and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.

Amen!
With violent determination,
Pastor Josh

No comments: